2002 Jul 17 23:02

Re: [vox] [zmcarrico@ucdavis.edu: shoud i get linux?]

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002, Rick Moen wrote:

> > And Word and Excel -- don't even get me started.  If you ever sumit a
> > paper via e-mail, it's probably gonna be required that you submit it in
> > Word format....
>
> Submit it in RTF or HTML with a .doc filename extension, and they'll
> almost certainly never notice anything different and just be happy.[1]

When UCD chapter of IEEE was collecting resumes, I was told they wanted MS
Word format because they are searchable using Word's fast find feature,
and that's what everyone who buys the resume collection will be using.
If that's the case, you're not gonna get anything out of sneaking in a
RTF/HTML file (unless Word searches RTF/HTML).

Any case, I wanted them to accept PDF.  For one, PDF is what all EE
datasheets are written in, so any company interested in hiring people in
the ECE department has access to it.  The new Acrobat reader has find tool
(though not the Linux version, but pdftxt and grep works great) so it's
searchable.  Plus it's readable in multitudes of platforms, and EE
companies do run many non-Windows/Mac systems.  There's all the reasons to
accept PDF but not necessarily Word.

Besides, my resume was already in PS, PDF, and TXT and no easy way to
convert it to DOC, RTF, or HTML (source was in LaTeX.)  Also, I wanted to
work for someone who'd be keen enough to see the difference between a
ronchy Word document and the elegance of a typesetting system.  I'd lose
that advantage if I submitted my resume in any other format.

So I cleared my resume with my roommate, who was the IEEE *president* at
the time, and he said it's okay to submit it in PDF.  So when I submitted
the PDF document, the ECE office and IEEE gave me nothing but gripes even
though I told them I cleared it with the president already.  A guy called
me from IEEE later and asked me what he should do with my document, and I
told him he should just include it, and I gave him a rundown on the
reasons for using PDF over Word.  He asked me how students can generate
PDF files, and I had to tell him about the Acrobat Distiller, for which
there is a campus-wide license for departments, and I don't even use Word
(normally) or work for the school!

Grrrrrrr...  This brings back some bad memories...

> > If they give you a spreadsheet assignment, it's probably gonna be
> > required that you use Excel.
>
> Correction:  It might require that you send/receive MS-Excel .xls files.
> Which means using Gnumeric, thank you very much.

If you submit a work in XLS format generated by an open-source program,
and if your teacher can't read your file, and you explain there must be a
bug in your open source program, I'm pretty sure the teacher's gonna
remind you that you were supposed to use Excel!  I'd stay on the safeside
and just use Excel.  It's not worth the battle, especially when your
grades are at stake.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim