2002 Jul 17 18:52

Re: [vox] [zmcarrico@ucdavis.edu: shoud i get linux?]

A problem with not having Windows is that some classes require you to run
certain software that runs only on Windows.  If the software runs just on
Windows, they'll probably setup a lab for you, but going to the lab can be
a hassle with all the potential schedule conflicts.  If they have software
that runs either on Windows or Mac, they probably won't even provide a lab
-- UCD now assumes incoming students already have a computer, which means
either Windows or Mac.

And Word and Excel -- don't even get me started.  If you ever sumit a
paper via e-mail, it's probably gonna be required that you submit it in
Word format (maybe they'll accept ASCII, but you lose all formatting
info.)  If they give you a spreadsheet assignment, it's probably gonna be
required that you use Excel.  And some [stupid] resume collections require
that you submit documents only in Word if you ever wanna get into their
resume collection.

I recommend you get the most current version of Windows (XP at the moment)
and MS Office, and just keep them around for emergencies like that.  You
should be able to keep them around for all four (or five+) years of
college without problems.  If they ever give you software that won't run
on XP, you can complain along with everyone else.  BTW, you can buy MS
Office after coming to UCD so you can get student discount; I'm not sure
if there's any discount for XP.

-Mark

Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/