2002 Jul 17 14:25

Re: [vox] Re: Fwd: shoud i get linux?

begin Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
> Quoting Ken Bloom (kabloom@ucdavis.edu):
>
> > Debian is generally considered to be more stable but usually has older
> > software- it's a tradeoff.
>
> This "older software" characterisation is obsolete, and harks back to
> when you had to choose between Debian-stable and Debian-unstable.
> These days, one would want to run the Debian-testing development track,
> which is a judicious step back from bleeding edge but not too far.

just to elaborate on rick's point a bit, i think you'll find the
packages in debian testing are often more bleeding edge than any other
distro.   for example, gnumeric.  the debian package manager for
gnumeric has been keeping up with gnumeric's constant fixes and feature
updates.   redhat's version (as of a few months ago) was much behind
debian testing's.

saying that debian has "older software" is just simply not true.  if
anything, the exact opposite is true.  if you stick with testing (and
there's almost no reason for any of us to put stable on our home PC's),
you get more bleeding edge stuff than all the other major distros.

and debian does it right.  you won't find idiotic things like redhat's
"kgcc" in debian.  you won't find dosemu with its entire sound code
mangled to death like you will with mandrake, who released a broken cvs
version of dosemu.

pete