2002 Jul 17 23:15

Re: [vox] [zmcarrico@ucdavis.edu: shoud i get linux?]

I think this would be a good thread, so I posting to
Vox as well as emailing Zac.

Yes, get Linux.

As for a computer, unless you need your computer in
class or lab, save the money and don't get a laptop. A
cheap deskop (300MHZ or faster, 128MB RAM, 4GB HD, 17"
monitor) will be enough to do papers and spread
sheets. New stuff will be 3x faster with 5x harddive
space, etc.

I've always built my own systems, but that doesn't
mean a prebuilt system with Linux installed is bad.
This can save a lot of time and frustraion. The hard
part is finding a vendor. We have Rod of
sunsetsystms.com in LUGOD and Wal-Mart's web site has
computers without operation systems (see the Microtel
page). Also, several of the Linux magazines have adds
for preinstalled Linux systems. I prefer to build my
own from scrap and surplus parts. I guess I just
eccentric (or cheap).

As for the flavor of Linux, here's my opinions and
comments on several distributions

1. Mandrake - It's easy to install, needs little
tweaking for default set up. Good for a beginner to
computers.

2. RedHat - It's popular in the comercial linux world.
I'm currently using it at work and folks like IBM and
HP are pushing it.

3. Debian - If you want to get intimate with your
system, this appears to be the one for you. It also
has the advantage that several LUGODers are very
familiar it.

So, depending on what you want to do, I can give more
advice.

Marc
Compter geek for way too long