2002 Jul 17 09:09

Re: [vox] [zmcarrico@ucdavis.edu: shoud i get linux?]

Welcome to Davis.  :-)

Consider how badly you want a laptop. They are more expensive,
harder to upgrade, harder to fix, easier to break and easier
to steal than a desktop computer.

I won't comment on Windows... presumably if you've seen the
LUGOD site then you've seen the "Why not MS?" section.

Re the best distribution: You'll get plenty of debate over
that.  Red Hat is the most popular.  Mandrake is very newbie-
friendly.  I like Gentoo.  Plan to multi-boot two or three of
them, if for no other reason than you'll want to upgrade as
new releases come out.

Hope this helps.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/