2002 Jul 14 01:30

Re: [vox] Keepin' my box cool

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Rod Roark (rod@sunsetsystems.com):
>
> > "Jupiter is populated by little 3-legged green men."
> >   "Hmm, how do you know that?"
> > "Trust me, I know."
>
> 1.  Spot the dumbass caricature.  No points.

I would say the "caricature" seems to be an accurate summary of the Rick
Moen Method of Discourse.

> 2.  As will be apparent to most if not all readers, I was in fact
> pitching my appeal over your head at the crowd, many of whom can
> be trusted to be smart enough to find, say,
> http://www.dirtcheapharddrives.com/ .

Just come out next time and say this and dispense with your attitude. This
price is far from the norm, even on this web site, so pretending we should
all know about some "July Special" because you do is obnoxious as hell.

> >   "I'd like some details if you don't mind."
>
> Ah, this would be a cordial request filed by your analogue in some
> _other_ universe, clearly.

You want polite?  Provide straightforward support for your statements. You
have the choice to use references to persuade people from the beginning,
or start an attitude fest and later drop in your support as an
afterthought.  You could even choose to sit on your knowledge and start
reselling hard drives... but that doesn't help you much in turd wars on
mailing lists, and at the end of July you might be in for rough times.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing