2002 Jul 13 22:46

Re: [vox] Keepin' my box cool

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Micah Cowan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Lately I've had problems with my box overheating tremendously. The
> root is apparently the hard drives which seem to pour out thick,
> liquid heat. My box has run with no problems on the same setup for
> about 2-3 years; but it must have been running hot enough that it
> wasn't crapping out, but simply wearing down it's resistance.
>
> Linux usually runs fine for a few hours (at least one or two), but
> then things will start crashing (Mozilla, X, etc.) sporadically. When
> I take drastic cooling measures (see next paragraph), they suddenly
> work fine again. Windows 98 will crap out easily within about 3
minutes
> (yes, I use Windows. I couldn't stand not being able to play Myst III:
> Exile and Max Payne...).
>
> For the last 2-3 months, I've taken to removing the side of my box
> and setting a room fan blowing directly into it. This is not a good
> permanent solution---especially as I have a two-year-old daughter who
> might inadvertantly become a new ground for my power supply, were I to
> carelessly leave it unguarded in this state (something I simply don't
> do).
>
> I don't overclock, and I have a mere AMD K6-2, 450MHz. The CPU is
> mounted with a heat-sink/fan combo; the only other fan is the power
> supply's.
>
> What techniques do you guys reccomend for cool boxen?
>
> I'm strongly suspecting, at the moment, that I should invest in a
> somewhat more expensive, but built-for-coolin' box - maybe a
> moderately-priced Lian-Li like:
>
>   http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/59ee.shtml
>
> Also, this:
>
>   http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/thumb/medium/sm-hdcooler.
gif

> seems like a good idea, but for the fact that most of my 5 1/4" bay
> space is taken up by my DVD and CD-RW drives.
>
> Any help/tips/suggestions appreciated,
>
> Micah

Okay, not to sound condescending, but have you broken out the canned
air and dusted the heck out of the fans and everything inside the
case? Dust is a nasty little bugger when it comes to heat. Also,
the air flow would probably be best helped by case fans, inflow and
outflow. I have an Antec server case (recommended by Speck in another
response) which has two outflow fans at the back (comes with the
case) and space for 1-2 inflow fans at the front (doesn't come with,
number depends on how many drive bays you use). Because of how I
set up my drive bays, I have only 1 fan at the front. I have yet
(knock on wood) to have overheating problems despite the fact my
room keeps peaking at about 90F on these hot summer afternoons and
rarely drops below 75F. I do every 3 months open the case up and
give it a through dusting, including dusting all the fans, CPU fan
included. And man is there a ton of dust, very nasty. This machine
is a PII450 with 2 WD IDE drives.

Oh, and there was also a Slashdot thread on this subject a couple
of weeks ago where the general concensus was that case fans are much
more effective than opening up the side and dust should be controlled
for best heat dissapation.

Shwaine the Wandering Arch of Malevolence
http://www.malevolence.com              http://www.shwaine.com
telnet://shwaine.dyn.greystoneapts.com:3000