2002 Jul 13 16:22

Re: [vox] printer redux and dSl MaDnEsS

I used to do DSL tech support for earthlink.  It was a nightmare.  Up
until the point I was _promoted_ I was relatively happy with my job.
earthlink has their shit together when it comes to dial-up (unless of
course your an old mindspring, netcom, or whoever-else-got-bought-out.net
customer).  But then I got thrown to the wolves of the DSL department for
being a good little techie.  All we got training on was the concepts of
how dsl works, the names of the modems, how to identiy a crossover
cable (some modems used them some don't),
and what installing the pppoe software looked like.   Needless to say it
was a bloodbath, especially since we had just adopted all the old Rhythms
customers (who were very accustomed to having a static ip and consistant
service).  So everybody was mad, and everybody thought earthlink sucked
(and unlike when working for dial-up, i now had to start agreeing with them).
Everybody was paying 50 bucks a month when the originally started paying
40.  These people would wait 30 minutes on hold, just to walk through
having tcp/ip uninstalled/reinstalled, their pppoe software
uninstalled/reinstalled, have their modems power cycled for the 17
millionth time, and then have us say sorry, i guess it is down, now we'll
contact (sbc, quest, covad, or whoever was their real provider).  the
whole co-op isp concept is lame anyway.  I always tell people if they
can't get cable, and must use dsl, at least get it from the real source (in our case
pacbell), but it's still a nightmare.

At least you guys don't have to deal with pppoe if you go for the
multi-static ip deal, but it's still an expermental technology if you ask
me, and these lame ass companies have no idea what they are doing.

I used to be all high and mighty on my cable high-horse (which behaved
flawlessly for almost a year), but it's been acting up lately too (can't
telnet in during weird consistant times of days, wife calls me at work
and says her email doens't work).

Not to mention att just raised the price by 7 bucks a month (a 20% hike
to $42), which is outragous.

These companies are getting what they deserve in the stock/market-share
world.

So what does a brother who refused to go back to dial-up do?