2002 Jul 13 15:21

Re: [vox] Q: looking for combination device...

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> me,
>
> this is of pretty minor help, but i might as well say it.
>
> i was looking for the exact same thing about 1.5 years ago.  in my
> searches, i found a website for people who are writing drivers for this
> very same thing (printer+fax+scanner+phone).  there were a number of
> people working on a slew of these devices.
>
> back then, they had the printer side working on a few models, and said
> that the fax side was "close".
>
> i forget where the website was, but some sleuthing will turn something
> up if the project is still alive.  if they are, i would hope they'd make
> some progress in 1.5 years.
>
> let us know what you'd find.  i'd love to get one myself!  table space
> is more expensive than money at this point.   ;-)

Well, I know about http://www.linuxprinting.org/ and they do have a good
db of printers that work, and printers that mostly work, etc. but all the
ones that I have found *so far* that are still on the market seem to be
missing at least one of the mentioned functions (phone, answering machine,
fax, scanner, printer, copier) often being fax (to computer/from
computer) or limited printing and/or limited feature/no-feature scanning.

I may just go with those little boxes you put on the phone line that
direct an incoming call to one of three devices (fax, modem,
voice) automagically. :-/  (as you say - wasted deskspace.)

It would be nice to be able to get faxes to/from the Linux box and special
combo device. :-)

I have used the m/vgetty with my rockwell chipset based voice, data fax
modem , but would need a canner to scan paper form docs. An external
device would service me so much better.

Any information (including what you have provided) helps me to refine more
searches on google and keep looking.

Thanks!
-ME