2002 Jul 13 14:22

Re: [vox] Keepin' my box cool

Quoting Micah Cowan (micah@cowan.name):

> I don't overclock, and I have a mere AMD K6-2, 450MHz. The CPU is
> mounted with a heat-sink/fan combo; the only other fan is the power
> supply's.
>
> What techniques do you guys reccomend for cool boxen?

The K6 w/two 10kRPM drives below the table I'm tying on has a big
honkin' tower box, and a PC Power & Cooling Turbocool power supply.

> I'm strongly suspecting, at the moment, that I should invest in a
> somewhat more expensive, but built-for-coolin' box - maybe a
> moderately-priced Lian-Li like:
>
> http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/59ee.shtml

In my view, too damned small.  People forget that a tower case buys
you both better convection and better radiation of the heat build-up.
You can put distance between the heat-producing components, and all
of that is extremely useful.

> http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/thumb/medium/sm-hdcooler.gif
>
> seems like a good idea, but for the fact that most of my 5 1/4" bay
> space is taken up by my DVD and CD-RW drives.

I personally think CDRW drives should be in external enclosures, for
heat reasons alone.  That burn laser puts out _lots_ of heat.

You do use SCSI, right?  If not, you lose, in that area.

rick@linuxmafia.com