2002 Jul 13 08:15

[vox] Keepin' my box cool

Hi all,

Lately I've had problems with my box overheating tremendously. The
root is apparently the hard drives which seem to pour out thick,
liquid heat. My box has run with no problems on the same setup for
about 2-3 years; but it must have been running hot enough that it
wasn't crapping out, but simply wearing down it's resistance.

Linux usually runs fine for a few hours (at least one or two), but
then things will start crashing (Mozilla, X, etc.) sporadically. When
I take drastic cooling measures (see next paragraph), they suddenly
work fine again. Windows 98 will crap out easily within about 3 minutes
(yes, I use Windows. I couldn't stand not being able to play Myst III:
Exile and Max Payne...).

For the last 2-3 months, I've taken to removing the side of my box
and setting a room fan blowing directly into it. This is not a good
permanent solution---especially as I have a two-year-old daughter who
might inadvertantly become a new ground for my power supply, were I to
carelessly leave it unguarded in this state (something I simply don't
do).

I don't overclock, and I have a mere AMD K6-2, 450MHz. The CPU is
mounted with a heat-sink/fan combo; the only other fan is the power
supply's.

What techniques do you guys reccomend for cool boxen?

I'm strongly suspecting, at the moment, that I should invest in a
somewhat more expensive, but built-for-coolin' box - maybe a
moderately-priced Lian-Li like:

  http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/59ee.shtml

Also, this:

  http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/thumb/medium/sm-hdcooler.gif

seems like a good idea, but for the fact that most of my 5 1/4" bay
space is taken up by my DVD and CD-RW drives.

Any help/tips/suggestions appreciated,

Micah