2002 Jul 12 12:30

Re: [vox] [OT] (really OT) question about ireland

Re: [vox] [OT] (really OT) question about ireland

Danger.  Rant ahead.  I promise it will be short, and I will happily take
flack for it (off-list, please).

I have long thought it disgusting, appalling, and cowardly that some groups
believe that the destruction and painful deaths of civilians is an
"acceptable" means of achieving ends that may otherwise be noble and
worthwhile.

The chaotic situation in Northern Ireland, though, like the chaos in the
Middle East, is perpetuated by people who simply don't want peace.  They would
much rather have the destruction, the violence, the bloodshed, the deaths of
innocent people (including children).  God alone knows what drives this
pathology.  Perhaps they find that their drug and arms sales are much more
profitable than peace would be.

Until the various factions in Northern Ireland can find in themselves the
courage to sit down and hammer out a common solution, nothing will change.

Ireland is a beautiful place, and my experience of the Irish (even in Northern
Ireland) is that they are, on the whole, the friendliest and most relaxed
people on Earth.  It's a shame that the vast majority of them in Northern
Ireland are held hostage by a few wankers who just don't want peace.

YMMV.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford