2002 Jul 12 11:35

Re: [vox] [OT] (really OT) question about ireland

Re: [vox] [OT] (really OT) question about ireland

It would appear that on Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Peter Jay Salzman did say:

> this seems to say that the island just west of england is two countries:
> north ireland (where the protestant/loyalist/orangemen bonfires were
> lit) and south ireland.

I think Rick probably explained the history better than I ever could. The
loyalists in Northern Ireland (official name) don't accept the Republic of
Ireland. The Nationalists want Ireland to be one island. Most people in
thr Republic (and I am speaking as a citizen and former redident of the
Republic of Ireland here) don't want a United Irelad, basically because it
would bankrupt the country, which is only just now getting back on its
feet after Britain (reluctantly) released control in the 1920's.

Personally, I'd be happy to see NI being a separate state in the EU.

johnmc.
--
 . johnmc@ | hyperattractive.net - +1-408-985-7992 (home) .
 . http:// | johnmc.org          - +1-408-386-3549 (cell) .