2002 Jul 11 23:41

Re: [vox] [OT] (really OT) question about ireland

Re: [vox] [OT] (really OT) question about ireland

hi jim,

ok, that explains it.  two different states.  wierd that i never knew
that before.

begin Jim Long <james_howard_long@yahoo.com>

> My understanding is that the whole island of Ireland was once a British
> colony.  Ireland was catholic and Britain [technically the United Kingdom]
> was mainly protestant.  But under British colonial rule (1600's to 1900's?),
> some protestant settlers moved from Britain to the island of Ireland.

i believe this was the war in which the (protestant) british nobility
invited the (protestant) dutch king william II of orange to invade and
take over from (catholic) james II of the house of stuart.

> Later
> Britain pulled out of all of Ireland except for the northeast corner (which
> is now the "state" of Northern Ireland -- part of the United Kingdom).

do you have any idea when this happened?  and why?  this was just before
a huge colonial expansion, and i'm curious why they'd pull out.  seems
like this was the time they'd be least likely to pull out.

thanks for clearing this up.  i had no idea the island of ireland was
divided.

pete