2002 Jul 11 00:38

[vox] peter will be out of the office...

[vox] peter will be out of the office...

dear all,

i'm having some pacbell/sbc people come over to try to diagnose a DSL
problem i've been having the past 3 weeks.

a few times a day, DSL will just totally cut out, even though the
power/sync/connect lights are all "green" on the DSL modem.  the only
thing that fixes the problem is turning the modem off, and then back on.
i don't even have to (what pacbell calls) "power cycle" where you keep
the modem unplugged for a few minutes.  just a quick flip off/on will
get DSL back working.

another thing is that voice comm on the phone is wierd.  every so often,
i'll hear a strange static that lasts for about 2 or 3 seconds.  happens
periodically.  i hear something similar over the speakers of my stereo
when it's on.

i'm thinking the wiring here is seriously screwed up.  :/.

the upshot is that next time it happens, i'm letting DSL stay down
so that when the people come tomorrow they can maybe detect some kind of
grounding problem.

at some point today (prolly within the next 5-10 hours) i'll become
unavailable via email until tomorrow, about noon time.

if anyone needs to get in touch with me (bill, 4-H?) please call.  if
you want to know if i can still receive email, you can ping my address.
if it doesn't respond to icmp, you need to call.

pete

ps- i was already told by pac bell that they don't support linux.  right
on que.  :)