2002 Jul 22 09:29

Re: [vox] Re: [lugod librarian] WANTED: WordPerfect for linux.

Re: [vox] Re: [lugod librarian] WANTED: WordPerfect for linux.

Quoting David Margolis (margolid@ecs.csus.edu):

> Hey, I've got an old CD of Corel Linux which includes WordPerfect 8 for
> Linux (Light Edition).

OK, I've found an ftp'able set of Corel Linux OS 1.2 AKA "Second
Edition" for i386 files, here:

http://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/linux/CorelLinux/dists/corellinux-1.2/

Looking down through it, I cannot find any bundled WordPerfect package
(though it's conceivable I'm missing something).  My best guess /
recollection is that there Corel Linux OS was available in several
different bundles, some of which (boxed sets?) included proprietary
sweeteners like the xwp 8 "Light Edition" you mention.

Late addition:  Confirmed.  The following Corel Linux OS bundles
were created:

Corel Linux OS Download ("Free") Edition:  adds Corel Install Express,
Corel Update and Corel File Manager.

Corel Linux OS Standard Edition:  includes Netscape Communicator, Adobe
Acrobat Reader, WordPerfect 8 for Linux (Light Edition), Instant
Messenger-ICQ compatible client, fonts

Corel Linux OS Deluxe Edition:  adds BRU backup software, clip art,
games, 30-day installation tech support, eFax Plus service, a user
guide, sound drivers and a 3-1/2-inch Linux penguin.

I believe the latter two were both boxed sets, at different price
points.

The remaining question is what's the licence terms for your copy of xwp
8 "Light Edition", and how does it differ from other xwp 8 variants such
as the "Download Edition"?

I don't know the answer to the latter question -- maybe you can find the
licence text on your CD? -- but can pretty much guarantee that you're
technically forbidden to redistribute it.  Not that Corel cares, at this
late date.

rick@linuxmafia.com