2002 Jul 09 12:12

Re: [vox] Re: [lugod librarian] WANTED: WordPerfect for linux.

Re: [vox] Re: [lugod librarian] WANTED: WordPerfect for linux.

Quoting David Margolis (margolid@ecs.csus.edu):

> Hey, I've got an old CD or Corel Linux which includes WordPerfect 8 for
> Linux (Light Edition).  I don't know the limitations of the Light version,
> and I don't know about all the library problems people have been
> mentioning here, but one of you debian users might try to do some hack
> with this particular .deb file(s).

.deb files are just "ar" archives.  Trivial to disassemble using "ar",
or you can use Joey Hess's "alien" utility.

While looking around for Corel Linux, lookie what I found:
ftp://ftp.linuxberg.com/pub/StarOffice/Linux/so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin
(95 MB).  This is the free-of-charge Star Office 5.2 Linux-i386 binary
archive (self-installing) that Sun withdrew from public access a month
or two back, when the no-longer-free-of-charge 6.0 release replaced it.
People who don't yet have copies of SO 5.2 might want to grab that file,
before someone asks linuxberg.com to remove it.

Why?  Because the general public never had the right to redistribute SO
5.2 (even though downloads were free of charge from authorised sites),
and because 5.2 has goodies that are arguably useful to OpenOffice.org
users:  fonts, samples/examples, icons, bitmaps, and sound files.

Here's the SO 5.2 licence agreement:
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/apps/sun-staroffice-5.2-licence

Note that the right to redistribute is explictly denied (though that is
also reserved by default to copyright owners).

It's possible that linuxberg.com is a Sun-authorised distributor, but
it's far more likely that they either made the common-but-wrong
assumption the free of charge implies freely redistributable, or that
Sun just hasn't gotten around to revoking their permssion.

Here is Corel's licence for the Linux WP v. 8 "Personal" AKA "Download"
edition binary:
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/apps/corel-wordperfect-8-licence

rick@linuxmafia.com