2002 Jul 03 23:29

Re: [vox] WANTED: WordPerfect for linux.

On Wednesday 03 July 2002 10:01 pm, you wrote:
> I can't find a download site for the free version of Wordperfect for linux,
> anyone know where to get it/have it? Failing that anyone know where to buy
> the office suite version?

Have you tried Fry's?

I don't know if it's still the case but people inquiring about WordPerfect
used to get caught in a loop between Corel and Xandros websites. (sp?).  Each
would send you or refer you to the other's website.

If you can't get it at Fry's try to go to the Corel website and post a
message on the appropriate newsgroup.  The last I checked Corel still
maintained the newsgroups for WordPerfect for Linux even though they
tried to shove you off to Xandros for direct help.  I've had good sucess with
those newsgroups.

You might also ask other people on this newsgroup whether they like the
WordPerfect 9 office suite.  I claim that the two greatest releases of
WordPerfect were 5.1 for DOS, and 8 for Linux.  WordPerfect 8 was a native
Linux program.  WordPerfect 9 runs on WINE, and I find it to be irritatingly
buggy.  I would not buy it if I had to do it over again, though others here
may recommend it.

My recommendation would be to contact GOBE and see if you can still buy GOBE
Productive for Windows for $75 before the Linux version comes out which will
raise the price to $125.  If they still have the deal, they will give you the
Linux version for free when it's released soon.  Before I bought it though,
I'd ask them if the Linux version will run on anything other than Gnome.

Bob