January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jul 02 23:54

Re: [vox] The Xbox Linux Project

i've been trying to drum up a lugod project for over a year now.  it's a
crime that we have such talented people but can't muster enough free
interest or time to contribute in our own small way to the free software
community.

some of my ideas have been:

1. a sound recording/playing/editing/midi tool with the power of snd/sox
   but with an idiot-proof interface.  this is a glaring hole in the
   linux community.  there are a couple of attempts at this currently,
   but they all seemed to have stalled.

2. an sdl or gtk port of yadex, the doom/heretic/hexen level editor for
   linux.  it currently uses xlib and has a *crummy* UI.

3. a tool to peek at the memory space of a process.  like kcheat, but
   generalized (like screen searching and memory dumping) and without
   KDE/Qt bindings.

4. helping out with the lego-usb project on sourceforge.

5. a graphical adventure game, ala myst or hopkins fbi.  something
   generalized that would allow people to write their own adventures
   too.

6. a tool to create "choose your own adventure" type games, based on the
   books that were so popular in the 80's.

7. picking up some useful but orphaned utility.

8. create a distribution of dosemu the way that transgaming has done
   with wine.  wine has always been difficult to set up correctly and
   tweak.  winex works most of the time "out of the box".  dosemu is one
   of the least "out of the box" programs i've ever seen.  it would be
   nice to package something user friendly that works out of the box as
   much as possible.

9. find a popular program like splint which only comes in tgz format and
   generate deb/rpm packages so newbies can install them easily.

just some of my ideas, but i'd be more than willing to work on other
people's ideas too.

i've done some stuff:
  * the linux gamers' howto
  * the debian-jigdo mini howto (soon to be released)
  * creation and maintenance of one of the coolest LUGs in the USA
  * the quake howto update
  * updating the linux kernel module programming guide
  * my extensive linux pages www.dirac.org/linux

have all been my very small contributions to the community, but i think
it would be fun as heck and very educational to do a collaboration with
other people from this list.

pete

begin Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>