2002 Jun 28 12:00

Re: [vox] [OT] question about citing authors

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i'm working on the lugod library database and have a few questions about
> citing authors.
>
> suppose i have a book 'Guerr Oyvaq Zvpr' written by Adam Haxtor.  i can
> cite the author as
>
>    Haxtor, Adam
>
> and that looks good.
>
> if it had been written by Adam Haxtor, Kitty Root and Jules Leet, how
> does one cite the authors?   this looks awkward to me:
>
>    Haxtor, Adam, Root, Kitty and Leet, Jules
>
> what's the best way to cite these 3 authors?
>
> also, if a book is written by Ned T. Ether Jr. i can cite the author as:
>
>    Ether Jr., Ned T.
>
> is that correct?

LART me if I'm wrong, but I think for the three authors you can use the
'et al' short hand, i.e.:

     Haxtor, Adam, et al.

If you want to give all three names, MLA style would be the following
(IIRC):

     Haxtor, Adam, Kitty Root, Jules Leet

As per the second, I believe that the suffix goes after the given name,
not the surname:

     Ether, Ned T. Jr.