2002 Jun 27 19:55

Re: [vox] Dealing with your boss

I find that looking at situations to others points of view to be very
helpful. I live under an assumption that everybody does/says/thinks
something for a reason. If I don't like what they say/do/think I figure
out why they think that way and start looking for something I can use to
change the point of view.

example:
My boss says my workstation has to be built by the workstation support
people. I don't want their build because it sucks. I've been building my
workstations and servers for 4 years now, I don't want some 2 week rookie
setting up my work environment. I looked at why he wanted me to run the
other build. He didn't want any extended project delays because nobody
could fix my workstation. I pointed out that I have the longest uptime in
the department. I win.

Arguing that the company build was fu*!ked was going no where because he
is non-technical and wouldn't understand the argument.

The Bosses knowledge and skill should be taken into consideration when
picking your tone. The more clueless, the more coddling. The more
knowledgeable, the more friendly. Don't speak down to the non-tech
thinking, it threatens them. Anything (humans and animals) when threatened
become defensive and not open to new thoughts. It's always better to sort
of take them under your wing, don't criticize just explain.

I have found this to do two things. One, it educates (which is the root of
your problem). Two, it can increase the trust the boss has in your
opinion. Getting somebody to say "I don't know" can be the most difficult
(if not impossible) when they don't trust you.

This does not take into account the infamous rat-bastards who could just
give a sh*t. With those... well good luck and let me know if you get
anywhere, I'd like a pointer.

"... of course this is just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

-doug