2002 Jun 26 11:51

Re: [vox] secure diary thoughts

Yesterday, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting ME (dugan@passwall.com):
>
> > The local sysadmin can arrange for local access to memory, and can
> > trojan any application. SSH does *nothing* for securing a host. The
> > only thing that SSH tries to do is to "provide a more secure
> > connection across an insecure network." The assumption is that you
> > have both hosts secured from outsiders. Either host being comprimised
> > means increased risk to the other machine.
>
> Patching SSH to authenticate with OPIE, SKEY, or a SecureID card can fix
> this (at the cost of significant inconvenience).

I have been curious about the SecureID card portion. I use the SecureID
fob's for work and like it. I've always had it on my to-do list to try to
configure my SSH server to use my current SecureID but haven't gotten
around to it.  Does anybody know what it takes to do this? or at least
where an FAQ might exist that explains the setup (and requirements). Also
if there is any cost associated with it?

doug