2002 Jun 26 00:48

Re: [vox] Q? on 1U rack mountable servers...

Re: [vox] Q? on 1U rack mountable servers...

Quoting ME (dugan@passwall.com):

> I like Dell and have been looking over their 1U rack mounted servers with
> the thought of buying rack space at a local ISP.

You know, given the collapse of hardware prices a year or so back, you
should seriously consider used gear.  I would.

Just watch out for cheap crud, from any manufacturer, regardless of how
prestigious you think the name brand might be.  I'd be especially wary
of systems built on i810 / i815 / i820 low-end motherboards.  There were
(and are) lots of those in 1U space.

The Dell 350, on the other hand, uses the not-bad-at-all Intel 440BX
motherboard chipset.

And watch out for heat problems, especially from cramming too many (or
two fast-spinning) hard drives in such a liliputian space.