2002 Jun 25 14:27

Re: apt-like package management on rpm based systems Was: [vox] boy, was

Re: apt-like package management on rpm based systems Was: [vox] boy, was that fast!

> debian's strict adherence to packaging policy does have magic, but
> saying that apt-get has none of its own might be overstating the case a
> bit.
>
> simply the fact that rpm based distros are starting to come up with
> utilities that emulate the functionality of apt-get is proof enough that
> people think apt-get has alot of stars placed next to its name.

If you'll notice the context, I was attempting to address the (widely
held) misconception that simply adding Conectiva's apt-get port (or
something similar) to an existing RPM-like distribution gives it
Debian's maintainability.  And to point out that nothing prevents
an approxmiation of Debian-like functionality on RPM.  Conectiva has
proved that.

>> Linux-Mandrake, Red Hat, SuSE, TurboLinux, and a whole bunch of others
>> _cannot_ be as incrementally maintainable as Debian (and Libranet) is.
>> It's not the fact that they use RPM:  RPM is a perfectly fine package
>> format.  It's pretty much all in the policy.
>
> again, here, i'm not sure i agree.  one of the most powerful components
> of the debian packaging system is the ability to run pre-install and
> post-install scripts.

You are mistaken:  RPM supports both pre-install and post-install
scripts.

> as it stands, rpm is incapable of doing this.

Tell Joey Hess that:  http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/pkg-comp/
One of the reasons Joey maintains that page is that he gets really tired
of people missing the point about package formats, and _particularly_
for attributing to the RPM format problems it doesn't have.

In case you don't know Joey, he's a longtime maintainer of RPMs who's
now one of the main Debian developers (maintainer of many official
packages), who also developed and maintains the "alien"
package-conversion utility.

Ironically, one of RPM's features that's proved most problematic for
the Conectiva people and others is a capability it has that .deb lacks
completely:  file dependencies.  Automatically satisfying these as part
of managing the dependency tree can drive the RAM and processor
requirements for apt-get and similar systems sky-high.

> i read an article in LJ a year or two ago which claimed that people
> were looking into a backward compatible "rpm2" which had script
> capability.  i'm not sure whatever happened to that.

I'm not sure you read, but you appear to have not gotten that right.
Have a look:  http://www.rpm.org/RPM-HOWTO/build.html#SCRIPTS
("6.7. Optional pre and post Install/Uninstall Scripts").

--
Cheers,   The difference between common sense and paranoia is that common sense
Rick Moen     is thinking everyone is out to get you.  That's normal; they are.