2002 Jun 25 13:45

Re: apt-like package management on rpm based systems Was: [vox] boy, was

Re: apt-like package management on rpm based systems Was: [vox] boy, was that fast!

begin Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
> Quoting Ryan (ryan@mother.com):
>
> > Mandrake's apt workalike, urpm (does dependency resolution, package databases
> > for removable, local, and net, etc), acutaly works pretty well.
>
> It does, but....
>
> Please pardon my indulging a hobbyhorse, here.  Not intending to detract
> from what you said which is perfectly true and useful.
>
> The magic isn't -- and never was -- in the apt tool itself,

not to disagree, (but...  :-) )

debian's strict adherence to packaging policy does have magic, but
saying that apt-get has none of its own might be overstating the case a
bit.

simply the fact that rpm based distros are starting to come up with
utilities that emulate the functionality of apt-get is proof enough that
people think apt-get has alot of stars placed next to its name.

> Linux-Mandrake, Red Hat, SuSE, TurboLinux, and a whole bunch of others
> _cannot_ be as incrementally maintainable as Debian (and Libranet) is.
> It's not the fact that they use RPM:  RPM is a perfectly fine package
> format.  It's pretty much all in the policy.

again, here, i'm not sure i agree.  one of the most powerful components
of the debian packaging system is the ability to run pre-install and
post-install scripts.

as it stands, rpm is incapable of doing this.  i read an article in LJ a
year or two ago which claimed that people were looking into a backward
compatible "rpm2" which had script capability.  i'm not sure whatever
happened to that.

debian policy is wonderful.  even small and seemingly insignificant
stuff like "a man page for every executable" or "no upper case
characters in a package name" seems so trivial.  but when i think back
to specific instances of solving a problem on a non-debian machine, i
can come up with multiple situations where i said something like "gee, i
wish they had a policy about that like debian does".

rather than point a finger at policy, i'd rather just wave my entire arm
and say "it's the combination of everything which makes the debian
packaging system superior to everything else".

pete