2002 Jun 25 00:42

apt-like package management on rpm based systems Was: [vox] boy, was tha

apt-like package management on rpm based systems Was: [vox] boy, was that fast!

On Monday 24 June 2002 11:47 pm, Ryan wrote:
> On Monday 24 June 2002 05:35 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i went to freshmeat to look for "evolution/palm-desktop like" software.
> >
> > i was greeting with a big ol' news item saying a remote vulnerability
> > (which is well on its way of being an exploit) was found in openssh.
> > everyone is advised to upgrade to 3.3 immediately.
> >
> > did a "dselect update && apt-get upgrade" and the update was sitting
> > there waiting for me.  pertty cool.
>
> Bleh.... Looks like I get to wait a day or two for the Mandrake rpm mirrors
> to be updated.... Oh well, I have ssh blocked at my firewall.

Of course, the gui based update wizard is the only problem.....

Mandrake's apt workalike, urpm (does dependency resolution, package databases
for removable, local, and net, etc), acutaly works pretty well.

urpmi.update -a && urpmi --update --auto-select

did the upgrade for me :) On that note I feel the pain of debian users trying
to use linux distributions with lousy package managers after noticing how
weak RedHat's rpm tools were at the installfest. I could find no way to have
it tell me what CD the kernel source was on, so I had to check them all
manualy, and of course it was on the one I tired last, whereas in mandrake I
could have just done 'urpmi kernel-source' and put in the CD, or used the
rpmdrake GUI frountend to urpm. Did I miss something or does RedHat really
lack that functionality?

--
Beat me, whip me, make me use Windows NT!