2002 Jun 25 09:17

Re: [vox] Netscape menu item is now gone

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting David Margolis (margolid@ecs.csus.edu):
>
> > 2.  in defense of pete.  why teach other products?
>
> Why teach _any_ of these?  I've never understood the point of teaching
> word processors, spreadsheets, and presentation graphics.  Anyone with
> basic computer competence on any OS can pick up the basics of pretty
> much any standard-type word processor, spreadsheet, or presentation
> graphics program on the fly, and probably without even needing to resort
> to documentation.

That's becuase most geeks have a high level of brain-fu.  Let's face it,
as a PHB in disguise, I recognize that most mid-management and 'business'
folks have synaptic activity  that looks like a statically charged
ponzi scheme.

But truth be told, what some of these folks crank out in level of
difficulty (with particular note to spreadsheets and finance folks, which
many finance
department people know the intricacies of that terrify me, and I
never knew anywone would *want* to find that many ways to format
columns and rows) that actually impresses (but I still hate pivot
tables).

And I can thankfully say, I have never done a PP presentation...you can
easily get by on html, animated gifs, and text.

> I know that _some_ people maintain with a straight face that they
> need classes to teach them how to use MS-Windows Explorer (e.g., MIS
> 001A).  And they may be right.  But that's setting the bar awfully low.

George Carlin rule: take the average idiot you meet in a day. Realize if
that is the average, half the world is stupider than that.