2002 Jun 24 20:06

Re: [vox] boy, was that fast!

> i'll check it out.  i can sync just dandy.  i just want something that i
> can look/edit/manage my addressbook (i refuse to call it "contacts") and
> calender  (i refuse to call it day planner).  i thought pilot-xfer was
> just syncing software, but i'll check it out again.

It _is_ just syncing software.  ;->  That was my point:  I'm such a
fossil about fancy desktop stuff that I've never even investigated
options.

>> Galeon 1.2.5 does well for me -- and isn't proprietary.
>
> i'll give it a try.

Might as well warn people:  Galeon is tied at the hip to Mozilla,
in the sense that it's Mozilla with all the extraneous junk stripped
off and a thoughtfully designed (but slightly stodgy-looking) user
interface in place of Mozilla's XUL stuff.

The Mozilla-dependency needn't be a problem, _but_....

Stick strictly to Debian-testing as your package source, no problems.
Stick strictly to Debian-stable as your package source, no problems.
Stick strictly to Debian-stable plus security updates, no problems.

Use Debian-unstable, and you'll find that getting a new Mozilla package
causes Galeon to be removed, or vice-versa.  But you knew
Debian-unstable was a dangerous job when you took it.  ;->

But the worst/most-annoying news is that sometimes the Debian Security
Team's archive of security-updates for Debian "testing" will update
Mozilla and remove Galeon -- or vice-versa -- because updates have been
released for one but not the other.  I'm talking about this sources.list
line (which I generally recommend for those on "testing"):

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

And it happens to be the case _at the moment_ that the security archive
furnishes a Mozilla update (1.0.0-0.woody.1) that causes Galeon to
get removed for lack of a matching version.  But there's a fix:

When I noticed that "apt-get dist-upgrade" was going to remove Galeon,
I cancelled to see what could be done, first.  Then, I checked the
Galeon Web site to determine which Galeon versions require which Mozilla
versions.  I found out that Galeon 1.2.5 is synced with Mozilla 1.0.0.
So, I went looking in the Debian package pool:

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/galeon/ has 1.2.4 versions of
packages galeon and galeon-common.  Retrieved them using wget, then
did "apt-get dist-upgrade" (which removed Galeon), then did "dpkg -i"
to put in the two Galeon packages.  Works just great.