2002 Jun 24 20:08

Re: [vox] Netscape menu item is now gone

Re: [vox] Netscape menu item is now gone

I can imagine the syllabus:

Week 1:	The Mouse is your Friend

Week 3: Pointing with the Mouse

Week 5: Clicking with the Mouse

MIDTERM

Week 6: Typing on the Keyboard

Week 7: Reading what you've just typed on the screen

Week 8: Basics of Internet Explorer, or, what's an Internet?

Week 10: Working the Mouse and the Keyboard Together

Week 11: Putting it all together: Visiting a Website

NON-COMPREHENSIVE, OPEN-BOOK, OPEN-NOTES FINAL (Pass/No Pass)

Etc.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 04:08:44PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting David Margolis (margolid@ecs.csus.edu):
>
> > 2.  in defense of pete.  why teach other products?
>
> Why teach _any_ of these?  I've never understood the point of teaching
> word processors, spreadsheets, and presentation graphics.  Anyone with
> basic computer competence on any OS can pick up the basics of pretty
> much any standard-type word processor, spreadsheet, or presentation
> graphics program on the fly, and probably without even needing to resort
> to documentation.
>
> I know that _some_ people maintain with a straight face that they
> need classes to teach them how to use MS-Windows Explorer (e.g., MIS
> 001A).  And they may be right.  But that's setting the bar awfully low.

Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford

MSN:  underpope@hotmail.com

vi vi vi - the editor of the beast