2002 Jun 24 16:13

Re: [vox] Netscape menu item is now gone

Re: [vox] Netscape menu item is now gone

rod,

i completely agree.

1.  they don't mention the brand.  word processing, spreadsheet, etc. are
used generically.  I've pasted the relevant descriptions below.

2.  in defense of pete.  why teach other products?  not that i believe
they shouldn't, because they should!  but csus and sac city college both
used to offer classes in wordperfect, but that product is all but extinct.
star/open office don't make enough of a difference to justify a college
course.  so i think that's just more reason to keep being evangalists for
the non-ms side.

3. unfortunately the only change in software over time they're going to
recognize at this time is the version number (or cute little version name ala xp) that comes at
the end of the words Microsoft Windows or Microsoft Office.

as a cs student here, i've struggled to stick with gcc (or borland
command line tools or whatever) while the rest of
the class learns on visual c++.

now that we're moving to java it's actually nice because i can use java on my linux box straight up, even though java
is a step in the wrong direction in terms of the truly open.

rant, rant blah blah,
dave

MIS 001A. Microcomputer Hardware and Software. Introduction to
microcomputer hardware, system software and the Internet. The hardware
portion of this course will acquaint the student with the terms and
concepts necessary to use an IBM-compatible microcomputer. The system
software will enable a student to manage directories (folders), files,
programs and other operating system features necessary to effectively use
a personal computer. The Internet coverage will include how to access the
World Wide Web and use a browser

MIS 001B. Spreadsheets. Introduction to spreadsheets using the spreadsheet
standard adopted by the College of Business Administration.

MIS 001C. Word Processing and Presentation Graphics. Introduction to basic
word processing concepts and functions. Use of presentation graphics in
business reports. Integration of word processing and graphics software.