2002 Jun 24 15:54

Re: [vox] Netscape menu item is now gone

On Monday 24 June 2002 02:42 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> hate to say this, but this is a perfectly reasonable thing.  a typical
> business student would be seriously unprepared without knowing ms
> office.

That's no way to advocate change.  :-)

First of all, the school should be willing to acknowledge
that promoting one vendor's product, at the expense of all
competitors, is a problem worth looking into.

Sure the problem cannot be completely solved -- yet -- but
still things can be done.  For example:

* Don't name the dominant vendor or its products in the class
  title.

* Focus on fundamentals (like spreadsheet principles) in the
  class that don't rely on a single vendor's product.
  Teaching the basics of what makes a good presentation is
  way more important than teaching Powerpoint.

* For product-specific issues, teach multiple products.

* Recognize that software will change, and features seen
  today will be different tomorrow.  Pretending that tomorrow
  will be like today is just lazy and stupid.  Students
  should be taught to think for themselves, not which
  icon to click on.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/