2002 Jun 20 17:01

Re: [vox] Spam question

On Thursday 20 June 2002 10:55 am, Nicole Carlson wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Two notable e-mails in my inbox today; one from yahoo, one from hotmail,
> both were "delivery failure" notifications... about an e-mail I didn't
> send.  A spam e-mail.  I checked the headers on the emails; they
> apparently really did come from yahoo and hotmail, respectively.
>
> Has anyone heard of anything like this?  Is it really what it sounds
> like--someone using my e-mail as "reply-to" on their spams--or is there a
> more innocuous explanation?

Faking from addresses is trivial, all email programs could to it if the
developers didn't code the mail client to prevent it. Many Linux mail
clients, for example, do not have this protection, and allow a user to set
any from address (s)he likes. This has both legitimate and illegitimate uses.
SMTP has no form of user verification, and email is about as secure as a
typed postcard (no verified return addy, world readable text) unless PGP is
used.

So yes, a spammer is probably using your email address in spammings, notify
your email providers of this abuse or they may termniate your account.

--
If Microsoft built cars, you could only have one person in the car at a
time, unless you bought "Car95" or "CarNT". But, then you would have to buy