2002 Jun 20 15:36

Re: [vox] Spam question

Nicole Carlson wrote:

>Hi everyone
>
>Two notable e-mails in my inbox today; one from yahoo, one from hotmail,
>both were "delivery failure" notifications... about an e-mail I didn't
>send.  A spam e-mail.  I checked the headers on the emails; they
>apparently really did come from yahoo and hotmail, respectively.
>
>Has anyone heard of anything like this?  Is it really what it sounds
>like--someone using my e-mail as "reply-to" on their spams--or is there a
>more innocuous explanation?

This is most likely the effects of someone having your email address
stored on their system, they are using outlook or outlook express and
they are infected with the klez virus or something similar.

You can find out more info on the klez virus at www.sarc.com.  The short
story is that an infected users email sends out a email with the virus
attacthed to everyone on there list and the from field will be someone
else from there list.

Hope this helps,
Stephen