2002 Jun 19 09:34

Re: [vox] why i hate phantom menace

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> > Because initially the Emperor was going to be the big guy (technically he
> > was, but Darth got all teh screentime because he moved quicker and had
> > that badass pvc tuxedo and cape)
>
> this is non-sequitar.   how does it answer the question?  so what that
> the emporer was *initially* going to be the big guy?

Its called humour you git...

And to answer your question, the Emperor was initially going to be the
prime anatagonist with Darth in a supporting role...Lucas has claimed to
have had reworked the initial script numerous times, with some of the
characters you see in Empire and Jedi appearing later (even though ehen SW
came out he didn't think there was going to be a 2nd or 3rd movie...the
ideas were effectively picked up off the cutting room floor afterwards...)

> did we ever see him in the first movie?
> did we ever hear his voice in the first movie movie?
> in fact, how many times was the word "emporer" uttered in the first
>    movie?  more than 3?
>
> again, i ask.

Again, you act like a

> how can you call the main antagonist a throw-away character?

To invoke some serious Moen-mojo, did I ever state he was a
'throwaway'? No, I merely porposed the apparently blasphemous thought that
maybe Lucas's original vision was different than what showed up in final
cut.

Jesus Peter, get outside some more...