2002 Jun 18 23:22

Re: [vox] why i hate phantom menace

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> i wasn't going to mention this, but how can anyone believe that darth
> vader was a throw away character?
>
> he was the main antagonist!
>
> how can anyone call the main antagonisst a throw-away character?

Because initially the Emperor was going to be the big guy (technically he
was, but Darth got all teh screentime because he moved quicker and had
that badass pvc tuxedo and cape)

It happens a lot in comic  writing (Frank Miller of Dardevil, Sin City and
Dark Knight fame has admitted to this often) where as a story arc
develops, the writer switches focus and puts more weight on what was
initially a cameo or bit role because either fans want it or the character
'grows' some potential new standing.