2002 Jun 18 16:29

Re: [vox] why i hate phantom menace

> half credit.  :)

Chetzi-chetzi?  ;->

> like the president of the USA, the president of israel can't be voted
> out of power on the whim of the k'nesset.  he needs to be convicted
> of a felony, which makes him inelligible to serve his post.

Israel's presidency is mostly a figurehead role.  He's there as a symbol
of the state, to haul out on state occasions.  He's not actually part of
the government in a functional sense.

I haven't even kept track of who's president since Navon left that
office, and had to look it up (Moshe Katsav, a Herutnik and Sephardi),
even though I do follow Middle-Eastern matters.  Just to put the office's
political obscurity in perspective.

But Joe didn't say "presidency"; he said "executive".

> the prime minister is the head of the government.   so if the PM gets
> voted out, the country still runs smoothly.

Well, probably no worse than before.  ;->