2002 Jun 18 15:45

Re: [vox] why i hate phantom menace

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 02:58:04PM -0700, R. Douglas Barbieri wrote (quoting Bill):
> > Except the fact that the first movie says "Episode IV" at the beginning,
> > it really could just stand on its own as a single movie, making the
> > following two look more like afterthoughts.  "Oooh - how can we add more
> > backstory to this?  I know!  Make Vader his father!"  :)
>
> It's funny but he originally indended Darth Vader as just sort of a
> throw-away character. The fans loved him so much that he expanded his role
> out and went nuts with his character.

You know, that explains Kenobi's lousy back-pedaling in RotJ.  I never really bought the whole "Well, his evil side murdered his good side, kind of a metaphor you see" story.  It just never sat well with me.

On the other hand, Darth as Luke's father *always* made sense to me.  When I first saw _Star Wars_ (now known as _A New Hope_), I thought to myself -- and I remember this -- "Well, who else could Luke's father be but Darth Vader?  Of course!  It makes perfect sense!"

Perhaps I just had issues as a child.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford