2002 Jun 18 16:48

Re: [vox] why i hate phantom menace

begin R. Douglas Barbieri <doug@dooglio.net>

> On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, David Margolis wrote:
>
> > ps episode 1 can suck it (except for the first 15 mintues when obi and qui
> > gon rip shit).  i HATE the immaculate conception concept and
> > metaclorians...

yes, the first 15 minutes of phantom menace *rock hard*.

> I feel the same way about Episode I. The pod race is cool

really?  the real question is: how much longer could they have made the
pod race?  the thing just lasted forever.  i was praying for it to be
over.  felt like that whole scene lasted 2 hours.

we were treated to 2 hours of a bad actor a) gritting his teeth  b)
clenching his jaw.

> PS: I have to admit that I like Menance much more now after having seen
> Clones, due to the fact that it is setting so much up. I know that Pete
> thinks Clones is mediocre (and compared to Empire, it is), but my faith in
> Lucas has been restored with Clones. Let's see how he does with Episode
> III. ;-)

one can only hope.   it must be sad to be a george lucas, become an
american icon and read all the dismal and unflattering things people
had to say about phantom menace.

> PPS: I just dig on Lucas' universe. Even when there are so many other
> problems with how the movies were made, his story line and universe
> concepts are still very compelling.

agreed.

> It's *lots* of fun to see how Anakin
> become Darth Vader, and after seeing the setup, fun to go back to the
> original films--you catch a lot more now that you know the history. One of
> the reasons I like Babylon 5 so much--the universe is well thought out and
> you get to jump around in the timeline and see how it unfolds.

to be honest, i didn't like the kid.  i mean, having there be this
love-tension between a 7 year old boy and an 19 year old girl is sick.

frankly, i think darth vader is a more mysterious and interesting
character than anniken ever was.   just goes to show, some people were
meant to be evil...   ;-)

pete