2002 Jun 18 15:34

Re: [vox] why i hate phantom menace

In all fairness, though, going from Empire to Jedi was a *huge* let down
for me. Empire is such a tight, cool major motion picture, where Jedi is
filmed much more like a stage play. Plus I thought the Ewoks and the
Muppets really sucked.

PS: But it *was* a lot of fun to see it on opening day--everyone was
shouting at Darth Vader to help Luke when the Emporer was elecrocuting him
with the Force.

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> yeah, ok, you called me on it and i admit i was hasty.
>
> jedi was a good movie, but it's easy to lose sight of that fact because
> one of the last things you see is the ewok celebration, and right before
> that is the ewok/imperial battle.  i walked out with a queasy stomach
> from watching ewoks cuddle up to r2d2.
>

> it's kind of like beer that tastes delicious on the tongue but has a
> mega bitter aftertaste.  it's just hard to call it "good" no matter how
> much you enjoy it while it's going down...
>

> pete
>

> begin David Margolis <margolid@ecs.csus.edu>
> > OK, I have some serious problems with Jedi too, but _complete
> > disappointment_???  come on pete!
> >
> > ok, let's break it down.
> > why i agree with you -
> > ewoks: silly!  chewy is cuddly enough.
> > end of movie: deathstar blows up in underdog makes good space battle,
> > haven't we seen this before?
> > reality check: even with the deathstar gone and the emperor dead, the
> > rebellion has a long way to go, and (possibly) lots of empire left to deal
> > with.
> >
> > why i don't agree with you -
> > han solo rescue plus jabba the hutt gets worked: bad to the bone, we get
> > the see the jedi in action for the first time.
> > forest speeder scene: you can't not love this!!!
> > last 20 minutes: i often fast forward the movie right up to the scene
> > where luke gives himself up.  the whole scene where luke realizes they've
> > all been set up, and he wants to whack the head of the emporer but he
> > knows that's gonna take him down the _path_, but then he loses it after
> > _sister, you have a twin sister, obi wan was wise to hide her from me.  if
> > you won't turn to the dark side, then  perhaps ... she ... will!_
> > NEVER!!! (badest lightsaber battle ever ensues).
> >
> > the music, film/art quality, drama, suspense, epic quantity/quality of all
> > of that last few minutes is incredible.
> >
> > just a few more than two cents,
> > dave
> >
> > ps episode 1 can suck it (except for the first 15 mintues when obi and qui
> > gon rip shit).  i HATE the immaculate conception concept and
> > metaclorians...

R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
http://www.dooglio.net

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people
   discipline themselves."

-- Thomas Jefferson