2002 Jun 18 15:11

Re: [vox] why i hate phantom menace

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, David Margolis wrote:

> OK, I have some serious problems with Jedi too, but _complete
> disappointment_???  come on pete!
>
> ok, let's break it down.
> why i agree with you -
> ewoks: silly!  chewy is cuddly enough.
> end of movie: deathstar blows up in underdog makes good space battle,
> haven't we seen this before?
> reality check: even with the deathstar gone and the emperor dead, the
> rebellion has a long way to go, and (possibly) lots of empire left to deal
> with.
>
> why i don't agree with you -
> han solo rescue plus jabba the hutt gets worked: bad to the bone, we get
> the see the jedi in action for the first time.
> forest speeder scene: you can't not love this!!!
> last 20 minutes: i often fast forward the movie right up to the scene
> where luke gives himself up.  the whole scene where luke realizes they've
> all been set up, and he wants to whack the head of the emporer but he
> knows that's gonna take him down the _path_, but then he loses it after
> _sister, you have a twin sister, obi wan was wise to hide her from me.  if
> you won't turn to the dark side, then  perhaps ... she ... will!_
> NEVER!!! (badest lightsaber battle ever ensues).
>
> the music, film/art quality, drama, suspense, epic quantity/quality of all
> of that last few minutes is incredible.
>
> just a few more than two cents,
> dave
>
> ps episode 1 can suck it (except for the first 15 mintues when obi and qui
> gon rip shit).  i HATE the immaculate conception concept and
> metaclorians...

I feel the same way about Episode I. The pod race is cool, and the battle
between Obi-Wan, Qui-Gone and Darth Maul is hot. But I practically falling
asleep during most of the movie and waking up during the last 20 minutes
of the flick.

PS: I have to admit that I like Menance much more now after having seen
Clones, due to the fact that it is setting so much up. I know that Pete
thinks Clones is mediocre (and compared to Empire, it is), but my faith in
Lucas has been restored with Clones. Let's see how he does with Episode
III. ;-)

PPS: I just dig on Lucas' universe. Even when there are so many other
problems with how the movies were made, his story line and universe
concepts are still very compelling. It's *lots* of fun to see how Anakin
become Darth Vader, and after seeing the setup, fun to go back to the
original films--you catch a lot more now that you know the history. One of
the reasons I like Babylon 5 so much--the universe is well thought out and
you get to jump around in the timeline and see how it unfolds.

--
R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people
   discipline themselves."

-- Thomas Jefferson