2002 Jun 18 17:22

Re: [vox] why i hate phantom menace

OK, I have some serious problems with Jedi too, but _complete
disappointment_???  come on pete!

ok, let's break it down.
why i agree with you -
ewoks: silly!  chewy is cuddly enough.
end of movie: deathstar blows up in underdog makes good space battle,
haven't we seen this before?
reality check: even with the deathstar gone and the emperor dead, the
rebellion has a long way to go, and (possibly) lots of empire left to deal
with.

why i don't agree with you -
han solo rescue plus jabba the hutt gets worked: bad to the bone, we get
the see the jedi in action for the first time.
forest speeder scene: you can't not love this!!!
last 20 minutes: i often fast forward the movie right up to the scene
where luke gives himself up.  the whole scene where luke realizes they've
all been set up, and he wants to whack the head of the emporer but he
knows that's gonna take him down the _path_, but then he loses it after
_sister, you have a twin sister, obi wan was wise to hide her from me.  if
you won't turn to the dark side, then  perhaps ... she ... will!_
NEVER!!! (badest lightsaber battle ever ensues).

the music, film/art quality, drama, suspense, epic quantity/quality of all
of that last few minutes is incredible.

just a few more than two cents,
dave

ps episode 1 can suck it (except for the first 15 mintues when obi and qui
gon rip shit).  i HATE the immaculate conception concept and
metaclorians...