2002 Jun 13 20:57

Re: [vox] cat and >> - how does it know?

Re: [vox] cat and >> - how does it know?

begin ME <dugan@passwall.com>
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > ps- i was under the impression that this sort of thing killed the temp
> > file.  i'm surprised the check is made.
>
> At one time use of > did, but I dont recall what >> did. Feature
> enahncement been in place for a while. I seem to recall earlier version
> of SunOS has this as a problem (destruction of file) for when I tested it
> on a Linux Distro a few years ago, it gave similar error, and left the
> file undamaged.

now that you mention it, most of my experience with unix, previous to
linux, was sunos.

also, i remember learning this in kernighan and ritchie's book on
programming in the unix environment, which was written way before linux
(but i guess this is a GNU thing.  how long has GNU been in the fileutil
business?)

pete