2002 Jun 18 22:03

Re: [vox] donation needed: windows

On Thu, 13 June 2002, Mytho-X wrote

> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> >lugod needs a copy of windows 98 donated so we can
demo vmware.

> >it needs to be above board and legal, se we need the
disk and the
> >license thing.
>>
> Microsoft does *NOT* allow you to actually transfer a
licence from one
> computer to another.  So OEM copies of the software
will not make us
> legal (unless VA actually ever sold windows along
with the box).

> Stephen (someone who has gone through the MS audit
experience and would
> of rather installed linux)

I don't think that is entirely accurate.  You can not
transfer OEM licenses (they have an OEM in the license
key) from system to system any more.  But if your have
the Retail version, as long as you remove the OS
completely from the system it is on, you can trasfer
the license to a different system.

Unfortunatly, the www.microsoft.com/license site
doesn't have info on the Retail Product Version
license.  Having moved recently, I am going through
boxes to see if I kept my old ones, but I am not having
luck finding them.  :/

I will try to find more documentation on this though
later this week.  Enterprise/Select licensing
agreements really through a lot of stuff out the window
and the rules are different.

-sp