2002 Jun 10 13:23

Re: [vox] StarOffice 6 sighting

This is too funny.  My NTSysAdmin list is having the
same discussion. So I have the Star Office database
link handy.
http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/6.0/whatsnew_base.html

Full feature FAQ
http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/6.0/

A large number of smaller sites are looking at the
viablility of switching to it to avoid the MS office
licensing costs.  Another segment has already piloted
in their envirnment and is begining deployment.  They
are  using this as the opening wedge to implement Linux
on the desktop assuming all goes well.

The NTSysAdmins at the larger sites seem to be
expressing interest but are constrained by the size of
their envirnment and existing contracts.

-sp

On Mon, 10 June 2002, Rick Moen wrote

> Quoting George Thomas Finch (finchgeo@pilot.msu.edu):
>
> > I keep wondering why they took out the database
support in Openoffice,
> > that was in Starffice 5.2
>
> Because they didn't own it.  Adabas D was licensed
for Star Office
> from its owner (Software AG).  Same problem with some
of the fonts,
> the thesaurus, and the StarOffice version of the
spelling dictionaries.

> There's also the problem of Apple's three patents on
TrueType
> byte-hinting, which means that OpenOffice ships with
libvcl (a
> TrueType library) statically linked and compiled to
disable
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/openoffice-fonts

> --
> Cheers,   The difference between common sense and
paranoia is that common sense
> Rick Moen     is thinking everyone is out to get you.
 That's normal; they are.
> rick@linuxmafia.com      Paranoia is thinking they're
conspiring.  -- J. Kegler