2002 Jun 09 09:52

Re: [vox] Linux, Open Source, the Weather Channel, and ATi

Re: [vox] Linux, Open Source, the Weather Channel, and ATi

Not really odd at all.  The weather channel actually runs a Beowulf
cluster just to do weather simulation (climate forecasting) and among
other things, does work for the US Navy with it.

IIRC, there was a time when they were in negotiations with VA for a
similar project with our then Professional Services group (we had
purchased Precision Insight, which at the time had folks like Daryl
Strauss and David Dawes from the XFree86 project).

So the Weather Channel actualy does stuff other than reporting the latest
drizzle occurring in Uzbekistan ;)