2002 Jun 09 01:24

Re: [vox] old news?

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Rod Roark wrote:

> Also noteworthy is the article doesn't contain one single
> useful fact.  Well maybe the statement "Linux is free", but
> that secret already seems to be out.

You assume that people pay attention.

> Not to mention the stupidly false statements: "Linux has
> never received a penny of venture capital, nor an inch of
> advertising...".  I think the folks at IBM, Red Hat and
> VA could testify to the contrary.

I know what VA spent on advertising during that phase of our existence,
and it was far from trivial.  IBM is obviously spending like mad, as is
SUN, and Oracle most prominently.

With regards to venture capital, VA received (I belive) 5 million from
Intel and then another 10 from a comglomerate of folks led by Sequoia
Capital.  LinuxCare received over 30 million, RedHat 25 million, Lineo
well beyond that, etc.