2002 Jun 09 03:05

Re: [vox] old news?

On Saturday 08 June 2002 08:44 pm, you wrote:

> Any idiot can log on to a linux box and do everyday tasks using gnome.

Exactly right.  Except for the fact that I've switched from Gnome to KDE this
pretty much describes me.  I've always admitted on this list that I am a
computer idiot.  I've been using Linux for three years this month, and it's
shocking how little I really know about Linux.  It's not that I wouldn't like
to know more, it's that I don't have the time.

It's more often the case that I have to use what knowledge I have dealing
with Windows issues.  For example to get Paradox to load on Windows I had to
go in and make some changes in the registry.  I don't have to do anything
that esoteric in Linux.

A better example though is presented by our family computer.  My son plays
games all the time, and Windows degenerates so rapidly that the computer has
to be reformatted about every six months.  So I reformat, reinstall the mbr,
and reinstall the operating system.  Of course I do this kind of stuff on
Linux, but I do it more on Windows.

I wouldn't dare argue with the proposition that geeks are much better off on
Linux than Windows.  But the fact remains that Linux has reached the point
where idiots can feel comfortable with it.

Bob