January 6: Social gathering
2002 Jun 07 23:49

Re: [vox] Gentoo Linux?

On Friday 07 June 2002 04:07 pm, Stephen M. Helms wrote:
> Anyone using Gentoo Linux?  I am interested in a comparison of it to
> debian.  I will be doing a few new linux installs so I thought now might
> be the time to take a look at something else.

Gentoo has been my standard desktop OS for about the last
3 months.  I love it, because it lets me stay up-to-date
with the latest releases of just about everything, with no
extra effort on my part.

Also I've found the gentoo developers to be very open to
requests and suggestions.  Most recently, I inquired about
support for the new LyX 1.2 release, then helped the
developer figure out a build problem, and the next day it
was done.

Just last night I started an update to the latest KDE
(3.0.1.20020604, whatever that is) and a few other things,
and when I got up this morning it was all done.

For those who don't already know: Gentoo builds everything
from source.  As a former Linux-from-Scratch user, I
*really* appreciate how easy gentoo makes it to do that.

Cheers,

-- Rod