2002 Jun 07 17:46

Re: [vox] Member Page search engine update

Re: [vox] Member Page search engine update

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 04:14:00PM -0700, nbs wrote:
<snip>

> Let me know if you find any problems, or have suggestions for any
> other name synonyms.

BTW, if you're curious, you can examine the current "like-names"
database.  It's a tab-separated file:

  http://www.lugod.org/members/likenames.txt

In most cases, the like-names are in an N-to-N relationship.
(e.g., "Alan" == "Allan", and "Allan" == "Alan")

In a few cases, it's not symettric.
For example, "daniel" and "danielle" both matche "dan" and "danny,"
but they don't match each other.  (One is masculine, the other is feminine.)

Note: The file has been sorted alphabetically, so a lot of the
symmetric synonyms aren't close to each other.  (There are a few names
between "jim james" and "james jim")

Also note: I often used "least common denominator" names to keep things
from getting to bloated.  It's still doing a substring match, so entering
"James" which becomes "Jim" is good enough to find someone named "Jimmy."

(Although I suppose I should add "Jimmy" in there, to match "James" and "Jim."
Hmmm...)