2002 Jun 08 12:34

[vox] Member Page search engine update

Now, when you search for someone's name on our "Members Page," you can
choose to have first name matches be based on "like-names," not just
exact string matches.

For example, my name is "Bill."  But my Member Page entry is
"William Kendrick," so a search for just "Bill" would never find me.

Eric Engelhard's first name is spelled "Eric," not "Erik."  Both are
fairly common spellings.

There might be someone who filled out a membership form with their
full name, "Richard," but who goes by "Dick" in day-to-day conversations.

Or perhaps they signed up as "Dick," but someone out there only knows them
as "Richard," or misheard their name as "Rick" or "Rich."

Anyway - to make things easier, and to make our site even cooler,
I've created a "Like-Names" option to the Members page search engine!

  http://www.lugod.org/members/

Let me know if you find any problems, or have suggestions for any
other name synonyms.

Note: The "Quick Search" box on the main "Members" page (URL above) has
the option automatically enabled.  On the "Search" page with the
"Advanced"-style form, it's there as an option, but currently disabled by
default.

Also note: The synonym names are only tested for first names.
I suppose I could add something to match "Cowan" to "Cohen,"
"Kendrick" to "Hendrick," etc.  I'll consider it. :)

Enjoy!

-bill! (or was that "William?")
webmaster@lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/